June 3, 2013

Scribbler of Dreams by Mary E. Pearson

  • Title: Scribbler of Dreams
  • Author: Mary E. Pearson
  • My Rating: 5/5 Stars
  • Format: Paperback
 
 
Scribbler of Dreams is a book that I had to read for 9th grade Honors English. At the end of 8th grade, we were given a packet with lists of books to choose from and instructions for projects for our summer reading. I originally didn't know what book to pick from the list because I wasn't into reading at all, but my cousin had to do the same thing for summer reading when she was entering 9th grade. She had Scribbler of Dreams and told me she really loved it and that I should give it a try, so I did.
 
Scribbler of Dreams is about a girl named Kaitlin Malone and a boy named Bram Crutchfield. This book definitely goes along the lines of Romeo and Juliet because it has the idea of forbidden love. Kaitlin and Bram come from families who hate each other. They were both raised to hate each other's family. When they first meet, Bram doesn't know that Kaitlin is a part of the Malone family, so you can kind of imagine how things go from there.
 
I enjoyed reading about the relationship between Kaitlin and Bram. I thought the character's personalities were very creative and amusing. I didn't like that Kaitlin didn't tell Bram sooner that she was a Malone, but with a relationship like theirs, I guess I would've held off for a while too.
 
I thought the storyline in this book was very entertaining. While it is does have the Romeo and Juliet feel to it, Scribbler of Dreams definitely had its own aspects that make the book really enjoyable.
 
I gave this book 5/5 stars because when I read this, I was completely in love with it. I read it in one sitting, staying up past 2 a.m. to complete it. It's a definite page turner and I enjoyed it all the way through. It's a wonderful book, especially for such a quick read.
 
Favorite quote: "On a small planet where minute follows minute, day follows day, year follows year, where tradition marches on with a deafening orderly beat-sometimes the order is disturbed by a dreamer, an artist, a scribbler-sometimes the beat is changed by one person at a time."
 
Do I recommend this book? Yes. If you enjoy romance and some drama, you should totally read this. Also, it's pretty short so it's definitely a cute, quick read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate to comment! It makes me happy. :)