August 6, 2013

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead (Bloodlines #1)

  • Title: Bloodlines
  • Author: Richelle Mead
  • My Rating: 5/5 Stars
  • Format: Hardcover

I honestly don't even remember where or how I first heard about Bloodlines. I'm sure it was probably somewhere on GoodReads, since that seems to be where I find out about most books. I do remember wanting it so badly when I found out about it, though. I can't believe I kept putting off reading this because it was incredible. If you haven't read the Vampire Academy series, I don't think you should continue reading this review because I'm afraid I might spoil some things from that series.

Bloodlines is the first book in the Vampire Academy spin off series. If you've read the Vampire Academy books, then you've met the main character in this series. Her name is Sydney Sage and she's an Alchemist. Alchemists are the people who protect humans from the knowledge of vampires.

In Bloodlines, Sydney is woken up and told to get dressed for a meeting. The meeting is about being assigned a very important mission- to protect Jill Dragomir, the sister of the Moroi Queen. Sydney knows that this is her one chance to prove to the other Alchemists that she really is loyal to them, despite her past behaviors. Sydney is finally assigned to the mission and heads to Palm Springs, California to meet up with Jill and everyone else who decided to go with Jill.

While in Palm Springs, Jill, Sydney, and Eddie (Jill's guardian), pretend to be students at a private school to further protect Jill's identity. Tons of drama happens in and outside of the school. There are some mysterious things happening with the students that attend the school whenever they get these crazy tattoos, and Sydney is going to get to the bottom of it. Also, some other weird things are going on with Sydney's partner, Keith, and she intends to get to the bottom of that, too.

I loved this book from beginning to end. Although I really, really missed Rose's POV, I eventually got used to reading through Sydney's POV. I thought Sydney was pretty cool in the Vampire Academy series, but I loved her so much more in this. I loved that we got to see into her head and really understand her fear of vampires.

The characters in this book were great. Adrian Ivashkov is in Bloodlines, which just makes it even better. You definitely grow to love some of the new characters in this book, but watch out because some of them may not be who they say they are!

I actually think my favorite character might've been Micah, though. At first I was extremely skeptical of his intentions, but really he's just a genuinely nice guy.

I gave Bloodlines 5/5 stars because as I said before, I loved it from beginning to end. I would've finished it much sooner than I did if I hadn't been so busy with other things. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the ending of this book! I wouldn't really consider it a huge cliffhanger or anything, but the person who shows up in the end definitely has me excited for the next book! ;)

Favorite quote: "I decided the Alchemists needed an entire department devoted to handling Adrian Ivashkov."

Do I recommend this book? Definitely! But be sure to read the VA series first because you'll probably end up a little confused while reading this one if you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate to comment! It makes me happy. :)