February 3, 2013

Divergent by Veronica Roth

  • Book Title: Divergent
  • Author: Veronica Roth
  • My Rating: 5/5 Stars
  • Format: Paperback
 
I stumbled upon this book in the bookstore one day and I just had to pick it up. The cover drew me in because, in my opinion, it's just so fascinating. Oh, and because of the goodreads choice award sticker! Anyway, I saw this book, picked it up, and read the back. The back of the book actually doesn't say very much, so I just bought it on a whim.
 
When I first started this book, my expectations were extremely high. I noticed all the hype about the book on GoodReads and thought to myself, 'Oh, this has to be good!'. I read the first 3 or 4 chapters and I just didn't understand why people were so in love with it! I could not get into it at all, and almost put it down for good. However, I told myself that I had to keep reading it to see if maybe, just maybe it could get any better. And of course, IT DID.
 
I honestly don't know what made me hate this book so much at the beginning. I think it's because my expectations were so high and I was expecting something different. The main point here is that I ended up LOVING this book. Seriously, it's a favorite.
 
The characters in this book are very well developed and I loved how unpredictable things were. It's almost like you'll think something is going to happen, but then the total opposite of what you were thinking happens. Veronica Roth is such a talented writer. She really knows how to write an enticing story.
 
I've also read the second book in the trilogy, Insurgent, and I cannot wait for the third!
 
I gave this book 5/5 stars because even though I didn't like it at the beginning, it just got better and better and kept me wanting more.
 
Favorite quote: "Sometimes crying or laughing are the only options left, and laughing feels better right now."
 
Do I recommend this book? Yes, but if you don't like the beginning at first, just give it a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate to comment! It makes me happy. :)